I read a lot of blogs.
I used to only look at food/cooking blogs. Once I started gaining confidence in the kitchen, I started searching for new recipes to try. This of course led me to about a million different food/cooking blogs (okay, maybe not a million … But a lot). It wasn’t until I started this blog (which is my third attempt at blogging), though, that I realized I should probably start reading other types of blogs as well.
I don’t know why I didn’t start doing this sooner. Maybe I was worried I’d feel completely inadequate if I read posts by “big” bloggers (or bloggers with more more followers than I have, anyway). Who knows? Whatever my reasoning, I’m glad I got over it.
Since I’ve started reading more personal/lifestyle blogs, I’ve discovered that my favorite types of posts are the ones with random personal confessions or facts about the blogger. Sure I enjoy the recaps of vacations, cute pictures of pets, and recipes (of course I will always love the recipes!) … But I always find it interesting to learn more about the blogger’s personality. It’s what separates them from the countless other bloggers out there.
So, since I enjoy reading these posts so much, I’ve decided that I should start writing my own “confessions” posts. I realize this isn’t exactly a novel concept in the world of blogging, but I figured if I enjoy reading these types of posts, maybe other people do as well.
So here goes … My very first “confessions” post. Enjoy!
I confess …
- I have never made a cake (or cupcakes, for that matter) in my life. This usually shocks people who know me in real life since they know I love to cook. I just don’t bake. I want to learn eventually, though!
- I love to write, but I’m pretty private when it comes to my fiction stories and poetry. I’ve shared some of my poetry in various places online, but I’ve never shared any of my fiction. I think I’m just scared that it’s not good enough to be read by anyone. Sometimes I think about the fact that things like the Twilight series have been published (and have, for whatever reason, become bestsellers) and think there’s a chance for me after all. Then I realize that I’m just not ready to share that part of myself with anyone else. Not yet anyway.
- I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety for years. This isn’t something I typically share with everyone (though the majority of the people I’m close to know about it). It’s also something that people who know me in real life find shocking because I have such a bubbly personality.
- I’ve been asked numerous times in my life if those are my “real” eyes. I always give the “what-the-fuck-does-that-even-mean” look and say, “Uhhh … Yes.” Over the years I’ve determined that it’s mostly regarding the color, but I still think it’s an odd way to phrase it. For the record, I’ve never worn colored contacts (though I do wear contacts to correct my incredibly shitty vision).
- I’m a total snob when it comes to movies and music, but I love trashy TV. Eric teases me about this all the time! I do actually like some shows that aren’t guilty pleasures (Dexter, Modern Family, and Six Feet Under are a few examples that come to mind [even though two of those are no longer on the air]), but I definitely also enjoy shows like Pretty Little Liars, Teen Mom, and Dance Moms. I should probably be embarrassed, but I’m not. I like what I like. Whatever.
This was actually kind of a fun post for me to write. Although this won’t be a weekly thing on Divulge and Indulge, I’ll definitely write more posts like this in the future.